FHA Loan in Kansas City
An FHA Loan in Kansas City is insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA). FHA loans are designed to help low to moderate-income borrowers who are unable to make a large down payment.
FHA loans have been helping Kansas City home buyers since 1934, whether the first loan or their fourth. We are Kansas City Mortgage Lenders and have offered FHA Home Loans in Kansas City since 1997.
What are the benefits of FHA?
They typically help first time home buyers, seniors, or others with credit limitations. The benefits are:
- Down payment as low as 3.5%
- Fixed and Adjustable-Rate Mortgage available
- Offer a low mortgage interest rate
- Terms from 10 to 30 years
- lower credit scores acceptable
- Offers a low-down payment
- Available for Home Purchase and Mortgage Refinance transactions
- Owner Occupied residences only
How do I apply for a FHA Loan?
You can apply online for a FHA home loan and receive your mortgage pre-approval within one business day. Get started on your Metropolitan Mortgage application today:
Mortgage Rates for FHA Loans
- Fixed Rate FHA Loan – Metropolitan Mortgage offers FHA loans as 30-year and 15-year fixed rate mortgage options. Both FHA loan terms offer the same interest rate stability. However, with the shorter FHA loan term comes higher monthly payments. Giving you a faster way to build up home equity. As a result, you can use this higher equity as a down payment when you move to your next home.
- Adjustable FHA Loan – An FHA adjustable rate mortgage (ARM) lets Kansas City homeowners pay a low introductory interest rate for the first few years, resulting in a lower loan payment. In addition, these types of FHA loans are best for shorter terms of ownership.
See todays FHA mortgage rates
FHA Home Loan Requirements:
What is the Minimum Down Payment for a FHA Loan?
An FHA loan in allows you to finance up to 96.5% (loan-to-value) of the appraised value in Kansas and Missouri. In fact, the 3.5% down payment requirement can come from a gift or a grant. This makes FHA loans attractive for first-time home buyers in Kansas City.
Eligible sources for the down payment
The down payment must come from the borrower’s own funds or Gift funds. Therefore you can’t take out a loan for the down payment.
Gift funds can come from the Borrower’s Family Member, employer or labor union, close friend with a clearly defined and documented interest in the borrower. In addition, a charitable organization, governmental agency or public Entity that has a program providing homeownership assistance to low- or moderate-income families or first‐time homebuyers.
Cash on Hand is not an acceptable source of donor gift funds. You must document the Gifts funds with a satisfactory executed gift letter, evidence of transfer from the donor to the borrower. Additionally, a copy of the donor’s bank statement showing the withdrawal from the donor’s account.
2022 Maximum FHA Loan Amount
In summary, the maximum FHA mortgage amounts for Kansas City:
- $389,850 loan amount for a one-family property
- $499,050 loan amount for a two-family property
- $603,250 loan amount for a three-family property
- $749,700 loan amount for a four-family property
Minimum Credit Scores
The minimum FICO score is 640, this is based upon the middle FICO score of the three credit bureaus (Experian, Trans Union and Equifax).
A debt-to-income ratio (DTI) is used to determine qualification. This DTI is the total monthly housing expense plus debt obligations divided by the total gross monthly income. This Debt-to-income ratio is one-way lenders measure your ability to manage the payments. Generally, the maximum DTI is 45% and up to 55% with compensating factors.
Strong compensating factors are great credit scores, job stability, and cash reserves. To see how much you can qualify for, get started on mortgage pre-approval.
Many types of properties are eligible, for Example:
- Primary residence single-family homes – 1 to 4 unit
- Attached and Detached Planned Unit Developments (PUD’s) which typically consist of detached homes within a homeowner’s association.
- Manufactured homes (loan limitations apply)
Maximum interested party contributions
The maximum contribution you can receive is 6% of the property’s sales price. The contributions can only be used towards your actual closing costs, prepaid expenses, discount points and other financing concessions.
FHA streamline refinance
Streamline refinance refers to the refinance of an existing FHA mortgage requiring limited credit documentation and underwriting. Therefore, this type of FHA refinance is available under credit qualifying and non-credit qualifying options. “Streamline refinance” refers only to the amount of documentation and underwriting that the lender must perform, and does not mean that there are no costs involved in the transaction.
The basic streamline requirements are:
- The mortgage to be refinanced must already be FHA insured.
- The mortgage to be refinanced must be current (not delinquent).
- The refinance results in a net tangible benefit to the borrower.
- Cash in excess of $500 may not be taken out on mortgages refinanced using the FHA mortgage refinance process.
Kansas City Lenders may offer these refinances in several ways. Some lenders offer a “no cost” refinance (actually, no out-of-pocket expenses to the borrower) by charging a higher mortgage rate of interest on the new loan than if the borrower financed or paid the closing costs in cash. The lender receives a premium from the higher mortgage rate, which enables them to pay your closing costs that are incurred on the transaction. FHA does not allow lenders to include closing costs in the new mortgage amount of a streamline refinance.
Investment properties (properties which the borrower does not occupy as his or her principal residence) may only be refinanced without an appraisal.
Other Popular Loan Options:
Explore all the Loan Options that are available:
- Conventional loans (3% down payment)
- VA loans (No down payment)
- USDA loans (No down payment)
- Jumbo loans
Have Questions? Speak with a Loan Officer in our Kansas City or Overland Park location today at 913.642.8300 or apply online:
**Metropolitan Mortgage Corporation in Overland Park is not affiliated with or acting on behalf of or at the direction of FHA, VA, USDA or the Federal Government.
Find us locally
Find us in Overland Park
Find us in Kansas city